Hair Loss Forum

Discussions on hair loss, hair treatment, hair restoration and how to stop hair loss.

Why women can not take Propecia?

Discuss your hair loss related problems with the other members of community here.

Moderators: dangrvs, frank

Why women can not take Propecia?

Postby xbethx » Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:43 pm

I read on an information website that Propecia is just for men. I was just wondering why women can not have Propecia for Hair Loss? Is there any specific reason or side effects that prevent women from using Propecia?
xbethx

Re: Why women can not take Propecia?

Postby EG93 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:21 am

To my knowledge it has to do with the Dihydrotestosterone or DHT in men. This is produced by the prostate, testicles, and adrenaline glands in men. And it is a large factor in male pattern baldness.

Propecia essentially blocks out DHT from making the follicles in your hair fall out. Because women do not primarily have testosterone, it cannot be used by them simply because it wouldn't help at all.

That is the bare-bones idea of it, so don't quote me. For more exact and fully accurate information you can look up more information on DHT, Propecia (it should mention it on their site by explaining how the drug works), and male pattern baldness. I would also talk with your dermatologist.
EG93

Postby PhillT » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:22 pm

I'm afraid EG you're a little off there.

DHT is produced in men and women, not equally but in both, and is part of the cause of hair loss Androgenetic alopecia (pattern baldness) in both sexes. If you have another form of alopecia, like Areata, DHT isn't involved, no-one knows for sure what is, and Propecia won't help.

The reason women cannot take Propecia is Finasteride, the active ingredient, is extremely dangerous, causing brith defects and miscarriages, it's actually reccomended that women don't even touch pills containing finasteride, it can be that harmful, so be careful!

Always check labels and talk to your GP/Dermatologist before taking anything.

Personally, I use Minoxidil, completely safe for women, also FDA approved, and a lot of happy hairy customers, so can't be bad! I also use an Anti-DHT shampoo which reduces the amount of hair falling out, it's made by a company called Nanogen that makes all its products safe for women too.
PhillT

Postby mania » Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:39 am

I think it's more complex and technical question that so not everyone would give you the exact answers which you looking for It think the best things to consult a specilized hair transplant surgeon for better advice and recommendation ..
mania

Return to Hair Loss Discussions